Monday, January 15, 2007

Alpha Cat

I don't know if I jumped the gun a little on this, but I took the baby cat out to see Jolee this morning. They were meowing under the door. She has made a ton of progress in two days. She loves to be handled and she purrs a lot. She has the run of the office when we're here to supervise her (though I'm keeping her locked up in her crate at night because I'm worried she'll get stuck somewhere or chew on cords). She likes to hide under the futon, but it's more like she's exploring than scared. I am trying to stuff her full of food, because she's so thin.

Jolee has been loud but all right. I keep petting him and telling him he's the alpha cat, and he is bigger, stronger, and prettier than that other cat, and I love him the most (what? I have to bribe him somehow! Besides, he is the prettiest cat I know.) Anyhow, I carried her crate out into the hallway to let him see her. His eyes went really round, and he walked up and sniffed her crate. He meowed a couple of times and seemed curious. Then he walked off sort of indifferently. I think this is a great reaction, and I am very relieved. She, however, was terrified of him. She hissed her baby hiss and came right up to the metal grate and growled at him. He seemed quite surprised! But then, he is a big cat, and his fur makes him bigger. It is obvious that I'll have to take it gradually, to make sure she's not too freaked out by him.

Baby cat still doesn't have a name. I know, I know. I'm working on it.

Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Sometimes you have to wait for them to show you their name...

Sadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.