An Actual Conversation @ Cooter Brown's Last Week
Bryan: So you're saying you don't like The Princess Bride?
Mike: I hate that movie.
Me: He's so weird. Everyone likes that movie.
Bryan: But... you like other stuff like it, don't you? You like Star Wars. Do you like Willow?
Mike: I love Willow.
Bryan: Well!
Me: I know!
Mike: Willow has Madmartigan. The Princess Bride only has that guy who keeps going on about "you kill my father, prepare to die." It's repetitive.
Me: Willow does have Madmartigan.
Bryan: I can't believe you don't like The Princess Bride. The Princess Bride is great.
Mike: So do you share your sister's opinions about the Star Wars prequels?
Me: Of course he does.
Straight from the mouths of actual real-life geeks who grew up in the 80's. (But I really am watching Willow right now.)
5 comments:
Yeah, that about sums up the conversation. But you declined to mentioned the educated discussion (citing articles, if I recall) about the prequels that followed. And damn it, you stole my idea. I was actually thinking about watching Willow tonight, but them my roommate and I went to see the new Bond flick instead. Good one. Oh well, sometime this weekend.
Funny stuff .. I'm just glad to find out I'm not the only geek in the world who simply can't stand The Princess Bride
I never saw Willow...don't want to. I'm not a BIG fan of STar Wars either although I'm always down for watching anything with Ewan McGregor :D
So what is your opinion of the prequels?
I've never watched all of Willow, either. I own Princess Bride, though. And all six Star Wars movies.
And at least you're not BAND geeks. My poor husband has to sit and listen to me and my friends talk about horn riffs and drum cadences and crap like that.
I know some people like the prequels, but I look at them and think of how many better stories could have been done in that huge galaxy that I really love... and I get mad. I think they are an example of when playing with technology and effects overtakes the story and makes it fall flat.
I do not hate the prequels quite as much as I say I do. But they do not have the near-religious icon quality the originals do for me.
Post a Comment