Sunday, November 5, 2006

New Orleans Sports Day

First we watched the Saints win on TV yesterday, then we went to the Hornets season opener. Both games were victories for New Orleans.

The Hornets game was fun. We got a free T-shirt with our ticket, and there were bands and beer outside on the walkway. It was the "home opener," which is kind of inaccurate because they are playing all their homes games in Oklahoma City except six. We have season tickets (ahem-- a frivolous expenditure for people with $150K in student loans, but I'm over it), so this was our first chance to check out our seats. Having only watched basketball from the upper deck (and I can't really watch it; heights make me dizzy), our seats made a big difference. We are 18 rows up from the court, in the corner. There are only six games in New Orleans, so "season tickets" is kind of a misnomer, but it will be cool to have such nice seats when we go next in December.

The Hornets played the Rockets. We are not sure if Yao Ming can possibly be a real person. He was just that huge. In fact, he is exactly two feet taller than I am. How crazy that there was a person walking around on the court down there who was TWO ENTIRE FEET taller than me. In China they must think he is some sort of mutant alien or perhaps a god.

In other news, my cat has become a shedding machine and I am at the end of my rope. I brushed a huge ball of fur out of him yesterday. You should see the carpet. It is exactly like you are gazing out at a desert, where little tumbleweeds of cat blow in the wind. That is the best way I can describe them: tumbleweeds of white cat. He sheds in clumps. I do not understand his shedding procedure. I know he's an indoor cat, so he can't be expected to be consistent with the seasons, but... it is getting colder! Why have we experienced a 50% increase in shedding? Yesterday I discovered he has a mat under his right elbow... probably because he flips out when I try to brush his stomach, which is the most out of control. It is the first mat I've found on him since I had to cut out his dirty Katrina mats with a pair of scissors... a lengthy process which involved two people holding the cat down and which I do not want to repeat. Hopefully it is not that far advanced that it is necessary to bring the scissors into play... yet.

Wahh. I did not want a long haired cat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merlin's shedding less now. And he's an inside cat too, I don't envy your situation. I recommend a Roomba.

Sweet seats! I love basketball season. Hopefully the joy will return to Mudville when we can forget about our miserable football season.

Sarah said...

Basketball should be fun! Too bad we aren't going to get more games here.