Ugh. How Mundane
So I am pretty sure I stood right next to my lame ex-boyfriend at the bank just now. I say "pretty sure" because I glanced sideways, thought, "Eek! Is that...?" and then stared down at my deposit envelope and tried to look very busy writing $500.00 in the blank spot, so as not to have to pretend friendliness. He was accompanied by a somewhat unfortunate-looking dumpy short girl (the girlfriend he got after me is a somewhat unfortunate-looking dumpy short girl), and there was a truck parked outside that I realized, in retrospect after I escaped, could have been his vehicle. This is what happens when you forget a pen in your bag. You have to go inside the bank to use theirs. And SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
Anyway, I didn't look, so I am not even certain it was him. I figured, why confirm the distasteful proximity? Much better to deposit and depart. Here is the thing. I am not usually bitter about ex-boyfriends. Usually I'm just like, "Oh, good to see you, what are you up to, blah blah." Because I'm happy without them, and they might or might not be happy without me, but either way it is not my problem. And talking with someone you had fun with recalls to you the fun moments of your life, such as when your friend and your ex stood in the Wendy's in Canal Street and shouted drunkenly about how there was a "PYYYYYYRAMID OF SHIT" in one of the toilets in the bathroom, and made friends with a homeless man, while you felt the glares of the other customers on your back and wished you were less sober. OK, that was a different ex who I also occasionally see around New Orleans, but it was a fun moment.
This ex, though... it was one of the more bitter breakups I've had, namely because this person said and did a number of sheisty things and then tried to take the moral high ground. It makes me appreciate, though, how valuable a thing it is to have someone who is similar to you in ways that matter. In a lot of ways, the beginning of my relationship with this ex was similar to my relationship with Mike: we realized we were both into sci fi, into creativity, and had a lot to talk about. The difference, as I soon found out, was that while this guy and I shared a lot of superficial interests in common, when it came to the deeper things like morals, maturity, and beliefs about relationships, we could not have been further apart. Now, this happens. We can't be expected to discover everything about a person right away. It's why dating sucks, right? The thing that pissed me off about this person in particular-- to the point where two years later I am too disgusted to turn my head four inches and confirm that it is indeed him standing next to me at the bank counter-- is that he misrepresented himself. Or well, it's more than that. It's that I am pretty "out there" about who I am. I'm the kind of person who will throw abortion, feminism, geek talk, and philosophy out there on a first date just so, you know, the other person has a chance to turn and run if they don't like my vibe. Because that is who I am. So my issue with this guy is really a combination: 1) that he pretended to be all bohemian when he was extremely conservative, and 2) that he knew who I was right off the bat and thought he could "deal" with it because he liked me so much. That is way different from Mike loving me but "dealing" with my inability to do the dishes. It is more like saying "We like the same movies! Yay! And, well, I'll learn to deal with everything you believe in and hold sacred." Whatev. No biggie.
He represents all that I hate about lame fake people. And I hope he chokes on his deposit slip. So there. (If, um, he were to, for some reason, eat it.)
2 comments:
Urgh. That is really crappy of him. I have fortunately never had such a ex so evil as to hide his conservative-ness. I had one who hid his brainless-ness. But that's not nearly as bad.
What a tool!
Post a Comment