Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thirteen Things I Love About Firefly

Thursday Thirteen

1. If someone designed a science fiction show precisely for me, it would look just like this. I really don't know how they did it.

2. I think it has the best female characters I've seen in sci fi. One's a mechanic, one's a warrior, one's a geisha-type, and the fourth is a paranoid schizophrenic killing machine. They all have talents. They all have personalities. None of them is the "token girl."

3. The "Jaynestown" episode is possibly the funniest hour of TV ever. The crew lands on a crappy rural moon where it turns out Jayne, the ship's muscle who has a mercenary outlook on life and isn't very bright, is a local hero. He even has his own folk song. I could watch this episode a million times and still be amused.

4. Jayne. 'Cause, well... yeah.

5. The dialogue is great.

6. The space western aesthetic. Because it reminds me of Star Wars before CGI. Because the space opera genre and the western genre have a lot in common to begin with. I think it works. Fox didn't, but then, no one's ever said they're a tasteful network.

7. So many quotably funny lines.

Mal: Ship like this, be with ya 'til the day you die.
Zoe: Yes Sir. Because it's a deathtrap.

Wash: Hey, I've been in a firefight before! Well, I was in a fire. Actually, I was fired… from a… fry-cook opportunity.

8. And the movie Serenity is awesome too!

9. River's crazy fits... she says out-of-context yet oddly prophetic things.

10. You can tell the characters were very well thought out, right down to the little details of the things they wear.

11. They drive a piece-of-junk ship, Serenity. I love that it's a piece of junk. I love that lived-in look. Again, it's what I enjoy about the first Star Wars movies.

12. It's inspirational because it's the kind of sci fi I am writing, and I was worried that people wouldn't be interested in something that couldn't make up its mind whether it was comedy or drama and was about people instead of big technology ideas. But Firefly has a huge fan base. So there. I'll just keep writing.

13. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me..." Damn straight.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the show but I did like the movie! I've been meaning to rent the DVDs of hte series.

Anonymous said...

I rented the DVDs on Netflix and tried so hard to get into it, but I just couldn't. It might be where I am in my life right now. I'll give it another try at some future date. Thanks for visiting my TT!

Anonymous said...

interesting post..i will try it eventually..i would get points from hubby

Geggie said...

Ok, so I can't stand sci-fi...sorry, it's just not my thing. However, you did pronounce Natchitoches correctly! Have a great weekend!

Carmen said...

Joss Wheadon is a genious, I say! i hope they make another movie. :)

Anonymous said...

Those lines are hilarious! I've only watched a few episodes but someday I'll see more.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Great list -- I'm still working my way through the episodes, but I love them all so far. I'm saving the movie to watch once I get through the TV episodes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my site :) The closest thing to sci-fi i get is Star Trek...hehe. I've never heard of this show.

Anonymous said...

Joss Whedon is a dialogue god.
Serenity was the best sci-fi movie.

on tv, my heart still belongs to Angel

Thanks for checking out my Thursday 13
I've add your link to my TT post at


Purrchance To Dream

Anonymous said...

oh. my. GOD! I'm watching these RIGHT NOW. I actually just got the line that's on your blog template, "Dear Diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy" cuase I watched that episode today! I LOVE this series. I'm a HUGE Buffy fan (one of the few fully realized strong women on T.V--yet she's vulnerable too). I LOVE JOSS WHEDON. I love this show! I think it so sad that it got dropped before it even got going...

And I am SO a Jayne girl myself...

Anonymous said...

And... because I forgot... the women of this show KICK ASS. What is it about Joss Whedon and his ability to write strong women? Even Angel (forgive me if you really really loved this show--I liked it but it couldn't ever really get into it like Buffy) had strong women--Fred, the smart yet sexy girl, Cordy with her take-no-prisoner's attitude. *Sigh* When is he going to make another show, damnit!

BlondeBrony said...

Hum never seen it, but it sounds interesting.
Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Tag... you're it!

Sorry. ;)

Debby said...

I agree completely with every one! Number thirteen made me laugh out loud. Just LOVE that show!!! No need to check my blog for TT...I'm taking a break since I'm soooo busy at work right now. I'll get back to it after Halloween.

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I agree with you. This was an amazing show. There are tons of us out here who would like to coerce Josh Whedon and perhaps the SCI FI network to bring Firefly back to life.

If you want strong female characters and science fiction, may I recommend the obvious: Battlestar Galactica. When this show first came out I was skeptical. I am a convert now and am unable to miss a show. This is compelling drama and some of the best science fiction I have seen in a long time.

Sarah said...

Battlestar Galactica is coming up on Netflix! I have heard good recommendations on that one.