Thirteen Good British Things

In honor of the fact that this week's BBC drama (I am the sort of person who has a "this week's BBC drama") from Netflix is The Way We Live Now, I offer a list of thirteen other British Things I like.
1. My Fair Lady
2. Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransome)
3. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
4. Wives and Daughters (Elizabeth Gaskell... and BBC)
5. The Forsyte Saga (John Galsworthy... and BBC)
6. North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell... and BBC)
7. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
8. The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis... and, by jove! BBC. I sense a pattern.)
9. The Importance of Being Ernest (Oscar Wilde)
10. Monty Python
11. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
12. The Duchess of Duke Street (BBC)
13. The word "dodgy" and the word "minging."
Oh, all right, that's 14 things, but I ran out of space. There are ever so many more books and movies I wish I could add, too.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
7 comments:
Great list. :) I also like 1, 2, 7, 8, 10, and 11. :) Happy Thursday. :)
Test comment...
guess I missed the Thursday Thirteen because my blog was loading funny. :-\
Great list! I love watching British movies, so does my husband. We both also love Monty Python, and my daughter loves Kipper by Mick Inkpen (British doggy cartoon, was on Nick Jr a few years ago). Occassionally she will say, "Let me have a go.", Kipper says that a lot. :O)
I was trying to read your list yesterday and noticed your pic of Jayne from Firefly. I love that quote, he has the best lines in the show sometimes. I love the Mudder episode where he is the town hero, and has his own folk song.
Fantastic list! I just love all things British! Especially Monty Python.
Happy Friday! I'm a little late this week :)
Hmm. The BBC isn't that great when you live in Britain. You get all the best bits, a bit like us getting all the great telly from the US and none of the dross. And the Way We Live Now is ace, you should read it too, it's even better.
Apart from that, you missed the greatest British invention of all time: chicken tikka masala. Oh hang on...
:)
Mert- the Hero of Canton song is the FUNNIEST THING EVER!
Juls- I just think the Brits do costume drama sooo much better than the Americans. And I love costume dramas... especially ones based on Victorian novels. I have read The Way We Live Now, as well as seen the TV version. Trollope is good stuff.
This is a great list - and I'm with you 100% on most of them, but especially the word dodgy - I love that word! :)
Post a Comment