Saturday, September 23, 2006

SpinachWatch: Day 8

You do not want to work in a restaurant during a nationwide e coli scare. Especially a restaurant that serves spinach on every other plate. It is a huge, huge drag, and I hope they will finish recalling the bad spinach soon and declare the spinach safe. So I won't have to have any more conversations like:

Me: We have no spinach in the building. We threw it all out.
Woman: This looks like spinach to me.
Me: I can assure you it is not.
Woman: What is it?
Me: It's a mixed green salad. It doesn't normally include spinach anyway.
Woman: What are these green ones?
Me: Some of them are cabbage, some of them are mache, I think those ones are arugula...
Woman: (skeptical look)
Me: Look, would it help if I went and asked?
Woman: Yes. I won't eat it till you come back.
Me: (goes behind salad counter) Is this arugula?
Kitchen: Yes.
Me: (goes back out to floor) The green ones are not spinach. They're arugula.
Woman: Well, o-kay...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to dinner last night here in California, and I ordered a pasta with spinach, gorgonzola, and chicken. I figured if they had it on the menu, they must have some spinach, and since it was cooked, it would be safe. I couldn't find any spinach in the dish. They could have warned me. ;)

Sarah said...

Our restaurant has since acquired some frozen spinach for use in some dishes. Apparently it is only this crop of fresh spinach that is unsafe, as far as they know. Whenever I sell the appetizer that has the frozen spinach in it, I feel like I should tell people, too, just so they don't wonder.