It's A Mystery
I am unwinding and having dinner (yes, at 1:00 AM) after my night at work. Tonight started off very crappy and went on that way until 8:30, but mysteriously pulled together in the last hour or so to allow me to come home with $140, which wasn't ideal but was quite respectable. It was a fun night, though. I think you have to have a certain appreciation of chaos to work in a restaurant.
It reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from Shakespeare In Love, when Henslowe, the theatre owner, is attempting to explain to his producer, Mr. Fennyman, how the theatre works.
Henslowe says, "Allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."
Fennyman asks, "So what do we do?"
To which Henslowe replies, "Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well."
"How?"
"I don't know. It's a mystery."
I am thoroughly convinced that this is the natural condition under which the restaurant business operates as well. This is exactly how it is. But strangely, it does turn out well!
No comments:
Post a Comment