Indecisive and Flighty
My short story got rejected from Andromeda Spaceways, after spending ages in their third round. Sigh. And I worked THE ENTIRE weekend. Granted, I made over $520, but you know that feeling you get the day after you run a long distance, like 5+ miles? My legs feel like that. I was at work for 12 hours yesterday. My body hates me. And my first class of the semester is tonight.
Now it's noon, and I've been up for three hours and still can't figure out what to do with my day. Going through one of those "my writing sucks" phases. Well, not exactly. It's more like a "I need to start over completely because everything I've written so far sucks." Part of me thinks what I need is a good round of blowing up Sith in The Game (see "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic"). But that would be far from productive, albeit full of fun scifi goodness.
Considering going to a coffee shop with the laptop, just to get out of the house. I get in a rut when I just sit here all day, hardly bothering to get dressed. Except that John Scalzi, whose blog I greatly admire and respect (his political opinions always seem to mirror mine, and his snark is so intelligent), makes fun of people who write in coffee shops. Ever since I read that, I feel sort of guilty for liking it.
But J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter in a coffee shop.
I like Harry Potter, maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Do I have ADD? Seriously?
This is the last straw. I am going to CC's on Magazine, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. And while I am there I will DISABLE WIRELESS. So there.
4 comments:
Bah.. I love packing up my laptop and heading over to our closest java shop. They have free wifi, great coffee and a super hip atmosphere. It's relaxed, yet energizing.
I'm glad you just got up and did it. Half of getting stuff done is just the starting part. Plus, starting is always the hardest - so if you do that, you're already over the hump.
You know, being rejected in the third round means that your short story doesn't suck! Of course, the result -- not being published -- sucks big time. Yet don't let that bring you down, and be glad your first work of fiction made it to the third round!:-) Not bad for a rookie!
Just keep in mind that Stephen R. Donaldson's first Covenant novel was rejected about 100 times by various publishers, editors and agents. That didn't stop it from becoming an international bestseller.
Now go to that coffee shop and keep writing!;-)
Thanks, guys! I think the pity party's over now. :-)
I think packing up your laptop and getting out of the house is a GREAT idea! I know if I had a place to go (other thann the library) I'd probably do it more often.
Post a Comment