Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Wallowing in Uselessness

I had a supremely useless holiday weekend, if one can call it that when one's days off from work are Monday and Friday (observe that these days do not fall consecutively; therefore, I could not be said to have a "weekend"). I didn't work on my book like I wanted to, I felt sick yesterday and Mike felt sick Monday, it rained, we didn't go to fireworks, and I had to work. I watched TV, which I never do, then felt all bloated and brain dead because I watched TV. At work we didn't get a single party for the first hour and a half, and spent this time sitting at a table in the window having coffee so people would know we were open. It must have worked, because then people came, just when I was on the verge of being cut because NO people were coming. But I made $60. And I was expecting to make $5 or less. So that's something.

I really need a hobby that does not involve being in my house, and am going to start volunteering in an attempt to kick the uselessness. I hate feeling so blah. Then I woke up this morning and realized, like seeing a light in the clouds with angels going, "Ahhhhh!," that it was the time of the month when women feel blah. Or, it was about to be. While that explains the blah, it just means it is likely the blah will continue for the remainder of this week.

4 comments:

Mark Folse said...

Two random comments: First, to call you attention to groups.yahoo.com/BlogNOLA, which is a mailing list of NOLA bloggers.

Second, is that your boat in the picture? Sailing qualifies as a hobby in almost all 50 states (I think it's not so much illegal in New Mexico as a lack of water). Yeah, it's hotter 'en heck (which is why my boat is in a weedly lot in Mandeville wait for me to do something with it), but its a great sanity restorer, hangover cure and all around panacea.

Sarah said...

Alas, I have no boat here! I am a transplant from upstate NY. I was getting close to being able to buy a boat (something very small, though-- well, small or old), but I had to spend my "Sailboat Fund" on a new car after Katrina.

I'll have to join that group, though. I have started to read more NOLA blogs lately.

Mark Folse said...

Someday (soon?) I will replace the forehatch on my Precision 18 Tchoupitoulas (but first I have to replace the damn trailer jack), and get the bottom painted (not a big deal in the ice water where I was allowed all of three months in the water up in Minnesota), at which point I am going to make it my goal in life to make sure all of my post-K boatless friends get in sufficient sailing time to keep their sanity. Consider yourself added to the list.

www.geocities.com/markfolse/tchoupitoulas

But first, hmmm, respirator and paint suit in July/August, or pay someone to paint the bottom, which I can't really afford?

Sarah said...

Nice boat! That was just my size and budget too. Not that I am serious enough about getting a boat yet. But as soon as I get me a "real" job and move out of the student ghetto, I will be ready!