Thirteen Things About My Alleged Novel

Oh, fine, it's not "alleged." It's a novel. I'm just being ornery because rewriting is boring.
1. It is called Dangerous City, Dark Skyway.
2. It is roughly 70-ish,000 words long, and tends to grow or shrink as the second draft takes shape. In regular-people terms, this is, oh, 350 double spaced pages. Hopefully it will stick around 85K, as I expand the bits that don't transition well in the current draft, and put back in the bits I took out and put in this separate file because I wanted to put them somewhere else and couldn't decide where yet (can you see why I am not the most organized of writers?).
3. I had a goal of having it ready to send query letters to agents by the end of August, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Because I procrastinate.
4. In my favorite scene, a character bombs her boyfriend's apartment.
5. Its genre is science fiction. Its sub-genre is space opera.
6. I have four bad-ass female protagonists.
7. My brother told me I needed to have an alien sitting at the bar sipping his Schlieven, so I put one in. We aren't sure what a Schlieven is, other than something aliens drink at bars that sounds cool.
8. I wrote a short story when I was fourteen that started with the line, "She was alone when she heard the footsteps." The character's name has changed, and the situation has changed, but the city is still called New Lessak City. The line is not the first line of the book, but is the first line of the fifth chapter.
9. My four female characters' professions, before they got involved in the Rebellion against the Galactic Empire (oh, sorry, wrong scifi, move along, nothing to see here): a computer programmer, a personal assistant, a pilot, and a waitress.
10. A short story made up of a few early scenes is currently under consideration... somewhere, where it has made it past a couple rounds of editors. But I can't say anything about it, because I don't know if they will end up buying it. And now that I've mentioned it out loud, I've jinxed it and they probably won't. Thanks a lot, blog.
11. It is my first novel.
12. Sometimes I worry that it completely sucks and I will never be published.
13. But not enough to ever stop writing.
11 comments:
Good luck. :-)
So, when you're rich and famous as a published author, can I have permission to say I knew you then? ;-)
Wow, that's an impressive amount of words already.
I think you should start contacting agents now, even if your novel is not finished yet, since surely in the first instance they will only want to see a couple of chapters, no? Stop procrastinating and do it today!
Happy TT!
good luck with the novel, it sounds like you have interesting ideas. on #4...is she breaking up with him or just being really passive agressive?
i've posted too at
http://blog.myspace.com/christengarland
Ah, you get to experience the fun of agent queries! I wish you luck!
It sounds wonderful!
Sounds exciting! When is it hitting bookstores, hope soon! My list is up!
Wow, congratulations, that is a great accomplishment. Hope that it is published soon! :)
Have a great day, mine is up too...
Sounds kick ass and different! You should check out Anna Genoese (of Tor)'s blog if you haven't already.
http://alg.livejournal.com/
my list is up too!
Haha...Schlieven. It's like Juri Juice. Who knows what it is, but people know what it's called. It simply just...is.
Hey there!
I know how rewrites can be dull at times. But it's the novel's final polish.
As for queries, I wouldn't send them out until you're almost done and satisfied with what you have. Because if they ask to see something, nothing less than your best effort will do!:-)
Good luck!
Oh, I know the rules! I read my Miss Snark daily... :-)
Post a Comment