Happy Belated Birthday, Blog!
'Cause we know I'm not the most timely person. This blog has been in operation for one year as of July 5, 2006. Its first post was during Tropical Storm Cindy.
Not to be deterred by the minor inconvenience of the wind blowing the house to pieces around me (but soon to be deterred by the power going out an hour later) I started a blog. Tropical Storm Cindy was, I believe, later recategorized as a Category 1 Hurricane. It is destined to be The One No One Remembers, because Katrina came along less than two months later and decimated the city. It is worth noting that the ceiling in my room collapsed during Cindy, which led to the hugely exhausting experience of me staying up all night to move my belongings from under the buckling ceiling before it finally fell on top of the bed where I should have been sleeping at 7 AM. Also worth noting is the fact that the upstairs of the house was totally redone by the landlord, and I had just moved back in and was gloating over my gorgeous new room (hardwood floors! alas!) when Katrina came along and destroyed the rest of the house (by a strange act of karma, Katrina destroyed every room except my room, which didn't end up mattering much because my clothes were kept in the collapsed walk-in closet and half my stuff wasn't back in my room yet from Cindy). I never lived there again.
But happy birthday to Still Life With Soup Can! May you weather many more storms. (Or wait, that sounds too ominous. Scratch that from the record.) May you wax sarcastic about many more near-traffic-accidents, and continue to be a cat-lover.
3 comments:
Add my best wishes to your blog too. :-)
Mind if I ask, how does it feel to live in New Orleans? I've heard so much about that city-- and not just because the Mardi Gras festival. I suppose you could say I like cities with a lot of history.
Thanks!
I love living here, because I love old buildings and a "different" feel. It's more depressing these days, since the Katrina destruction is still around, but I am optimistic about it getting better.
Yeah, it was sad hearing about the destruction wrought by the storm on your city. And the news coming out afterwards on how the government was reacting was surreal, like something out of a SF movie. *shivers*
Post a Comment