Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thirteen Things On My Desk Right Now

Thursday Thirteen

Because I saw someone do this last week and joked that it would be far more gross and bizarre for me to do a TT along this theme. Although, thanks to Mike cleaning up after me, my work desk really isn't that gross right now.

1. A Labatt Blue bottle cap (unfortunately not attached to a bottle of Labatt Blue).

2. A Spanish-English dictionary. In a quest to have a productively educational summer, and for the purposes of functioning in the new New Orleans, we are attempting to teach ourselves conversational Spanish.

3. $460.00 cash in a Chase bank envelope. The problem about me working in the service industry is that I am the kind of person who is always forgetting to go to the bank. Thus I have approximately 9 days worth of tips sort of hanging out on the desk. It did, however, make it into an envelope yesterday.

4. Framed photo of Packy and myself from college. This, I believe, was at the Chi Omega social brothers pre-party in 2003. He is standing behind me with his arms around me, only his hands are duct-taped to a bottle of green Mad Dog 20/20. It is worth noting for the purposes of entertainment that moments after this photo was taken, he slung me over his shoulder and attempted to throw me in a bathroom stall (also photographed, but less frameable). He then proceeded to fall down the back stairs.

5. Framed photo of Melanie and me sitting on top of one of the red Tick Tock booths, in front of the St. Lawrence mural. She is wearing a black tank top with sparkles and jeans. I have gone for the Larry look and have on jeans, a St. Lawrence belt, and pink Polo. This was Senior Week '02.

6. Vienna Teng's album Warm Strangers.

7. An empty glass... and a full coffee cup. This is actually pretty good. I think I have mentioned that empty dishes are attracted to me, and follow me like moths follow light.

8. Several programs from Tulane law school graduation, empty birthday card envelopes, a thank you note from Maria and Matt's wedding, and an empty US Airways ticket envelope previously containing the plane tickets to said wedding. Basically a stack of junk mail & papers. Though this pile also contains one aspirin (just floating wild and free) and my checkbook. Huh.

9. A notepad with a lot of crytpic notes ("350 px x 125") for my mom's website, which I have been working on this week. Don't look past the first two pages, though. I haven't got that far yet.

10. Package of craisins.

11. A clam shell holding: two batteries, a nickel, and a ring. (??Whatever.)

12. A rack containing various manuscript pages, envelopes, address labels, short stories, and a manila folder labelled "Writing/Correspondence," which is a nice way of saying, "Rejection Letters."

13. An empty Tanqueray bottle. Fondly saved, as the last bottle of liquor I purchased at Ye Olde Liquors (haha) in Canton, NY during Senior Week. After I graduated, it rode in my luggage down to New Orleans, for good luck. Of course, it made it in one piece, and I was able to have a gin and tonic in my empty apartment with no furniture. But I kept the bottle... because it was the last.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!





6 comments:

Carmen said...

too bad that the liquor bottle is empty, at least, that's how I feel at work. :)

rashbre said...

Hmm - lots of signs of drinking of one kind or another...but what are craisens?

My TT is up.

rashbre

Lady Jane said...

My desk just has piles of stuff on it. Actually, and boxes under it. I can't even use it! :)

My list is here.

Christina said...

Great list. "empty dishes are attracted to me, and follow me like moths follow light." - that is just like me. My desk currently holds an empty diet coke can, an empty cereal bowl, and an empty juice glass.

Just Nancy said...

Interesting list. My daughter is attractive to empty dishes, too, usually in the living room or on the sofa!

My TT is up.

BTW, I'm in Baton Rouge and a novelist, too.

Sarah said...

Craisins= cranberry raisins. Yum!