Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Afternoon Update from the 'Triangle of Death'

In case you hadn't heard, this is the oh-so-clever new moniker the Times Picayune has given the slice of the city where something like six people have been murdered in the last three days. It is also where I work.

I am not too freaked out, though I am thinking of changing my shortcut home. I do think it's unfair that armed thugs in a drug war can rob me of my perfectly good shortcut to work. But I also don't want to get hit by stray bullets. I did see three cop cars today on the drive. We have an NOPP guy in the parking lot, too. If we didn't have a parking lot, though, I'd probably quit. Having to walk to my car is just too unsafe. The National Guard is back in New Orleans.

I don't know how I feel about all this. Well, I hate it. I hate that thugs and assholes interfere with legitimate people's lives. I hate that there are actually people protesting the fact that they won't reopen the projects because these are people's "homes" and they are going to move back and squat there. I hate that I pay rent, and people turn to looting and killing because they have this sense of entitlement. I think I'm entitled to a job that pays a person with a B.A. more than they can make part time serving iced teas and fish. I think I'm also entitled to not having stray bullets hit the car I work to pay for. I think it's sad that one of the teenagers in the car that got riddled with bullets in the drive-by tried, according to what his mother told the paper, to register for the N.O. public schools upon returning after Katrina, but was told they couldn't take him. Was it already too late? Was he already a thug? Probably. But...

I think a lot of things.

No comments: