I Link, Therefore I Am
Just my daily scouring of the net before I leave for the horrendous double-shift Wednesday. Article in today's Times Picayune on how to donate books for the Hurricane Katrina rebuilding effort here. I remember when I thought my books had been destroyed by the ceiling collapse. It was absolutely the worst prospect I could imagine. I remember that tears came to my eyes when I saw my two shelves, standing untouched, with a pool of water on the floor that came right up to them and just stopped, inches away. I think I am going to get on down to the book sales they're doing at Latter Library and buy some used books. The money goes to fix the libraries that got flooded.
Writer Beware on the Barbara Bauer thing that went down last week, covered at length by Miss Snark and others. Barbara Bauer is a scam agent who suckers unsuspecting new writers. She has a history of going around the internet flaming people who say bad things about her, and this caused a huge backlash among writer types over the weekend when she managed to get Absolute Write, a resource site, shut down. You almost feel sorry for the woman, but then, she does advertise her services as an agent and has yet to prove she has actually sold a work to a paying market. You get what you give. Anyway, it is a brilliant example of what a grassroots campaign across the internet can accomplish through tagging and linking. Today if you go to Google and run a search, several sites listing Barbara Bauer as a scam instantly pop up on the front page.
1 comment:
Wow--I didn't know people like that lurked around places like Absolute Write. Thanks for the heads up. Have you posted to Absolute Write? I was always afraid of posting to sites for critiques because I didn't know who might take advantage of it. It's those crappy people out there who ruin it for the rest of us!
Post a Comment