Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Back Off My Jolee

One of my little amusements is to check out the bizarre and varied places my traffic comes from. (You would be so disturbed by some of the search terms that get people here.) Yesterday I got a bunch of visitors because someone on the Petfinder forums was doing blog searches and posting Katrina cats that were adopted out. Wow, am I feeling possessive right now. "But he's my Jolee," I thought.

I shouldn't be worried that his original owner will find him. When I first adopted him, I did a huge internet search to make sure he didn't match the photos or descriptions of any missing cats that were posted. I didn't want to steal someone's pet. Since then, I believe I'd be wary of giving him to someone who said he was theirs... he wasn't neutered until Best Friends picked him up, for one thing. I don't believe he's purebred because, though he has seal points, his cream colored parts are spotted with brown and he doesn't have the smushed face. Therefore, there is no reason not to neuter your cat. Also, I've observed that he is very skittish around men in particular. He will make friends with women, but men's voices drive him under the bed. I don't know what this means, but it does make me kind of wary of his history.

Sigh. I know people mean well. And I know I'd want my cat back if I was in that situation. But it makes me uneasy. Because he loves ME. He knows that his name is Jolee and that I am his person. I wouldn't want him to be traumatized again; I think he has gone through enough.

Speaking of which, it is almost hurricane season and I need to buy him a cat carrier. Because it's his evacuation plan!

No comments: