Tuesday, January 24, 2006

First Rejection Letter

Well, my first grown-up rejection letter. I used to enter and win contests when I was in high school. Let's just say I took several years off from actually sending my work anywhere. But now I'm back, and I've gotten very serious about this being what I really want to do. So yeah... The letter was a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot about it.

I hear from the online community that your first rejection from JJA at Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction is something of a genre rite of passage. Haha. So here's mine, and now "Dangerous City, Dark Skyway" is off to some lower markets at which it might actually have a hope. Though, do they always say that there is "nice writing here, along with some good world building"? I don't think they have to say that (?).

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Hi Sarah!

Congrats on your first rejection letter!:-) You are now at the beginning of the process of getting published. Like me and everyone else who has ever made the attempt, you should acquire a stack of such letters in the future.

But don't let that deter you from persevering. I now have a book proposal being perused by HarperCollins, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to you!

Patrick