Thursday, November 3, 2005

Word Count: 5005

After three days of NaNoWriMo, I am exactly on target with where my word count needs to be. I think I like where the story is going. I'm adapting the short story I posted partially on here last month. It's interesting to see what the characters do. Normally I'm pretty skeptical about writers who say that. I tend to roll my eyes when someone says something like, "My characters aren't doing what I want! Oh no!" Because, hello, you wrote them. So, yes, you can force them to do exactly what you want.

But I'm finding that mine are shifting slightly in the writing, and I do like what's come up. I think I've got enough room in my plot to let them change around a bit. If I'm stuck, I just put two characters on a dark street, walking on their way to somewhere, and write dialogue. If you write fast enough, and don't bother with actions or modifiers for now, a lot of really spontaneous stuff will come out, similar to a real conversation.

However, tomorrow I have to write a real paper for grad school. Yawn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think your boyfriend appreciates your word count and spending all your time writing. I mean, come on, is the entire month of November going to be like this? Leading your characters soul searching through dark allies? There are other people in your life. Your boyfriend needs to learn a new force ability!!! He needs new weapons! You should be spending this time helping him gain XP so he can build his new lightsaber...You need to get your priorities straight. :-P Too bad Duru already took him....

Sarah said...

My boyfriend doesn't have the Force. He's also mad at me because he recently found out I am really the Dark Sith Lord who destroyed his planet and killed his wife. Turns out the Jedi wiped my memory and brainwashed me. Oops. But I'm not cheating on him. I played the game yesterday!