I Don't Want to Gooooooo
To the gym, that is. But it has been paid for, therefore I am going. Going to the gym is like writing for me. While I am doing the activity I enjoy it a lot. And I mean a lot. I stop, and I'm all pumped up. "Oh yeah, I'm so good! I should do this all the time! Whoo!" And, similarly, I also enjoy having written and having gone to the gym. Afterwards, when I'm lazing about gloating about how awesome I am. But actually pulling myself out the door? Ugh. It's hot out and I am really close to beating Oblivion, and I am all planned for tomorrow and have barely anything to do tonight except focus on me, me, me.
So yeah. Did I mention I've rejoined the Tulane gym?
Off to commune with undergrads in the land of sweat...
5 comments:
Didn't we have some type of bet for you to have biceps that I can't wrap my hand around by Thanksgiving?
Dear Sarah
I am contacting people who have Arthur Ransome on their list of favourite books in their blogger's profile. This is because I think they might also be interested in my blog
http://bricksinthecave.blogspot.com/
It is called THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE and is a children's adventure story. I am posting an illustrated episode each day. (The story has already started but the earlier chapters are easily found through the side bar.)
This is the second time I have posted this story. In August I did it in parallel with our local newspaper which published the same episodes each day.
This means there has already been time to receive quite a few reactions and I have found, to my surprise, that this kind of story is very popular in countries like India . . . probably more so than in England, where I live. (Tales of magic and of much fiercer kinds of adventure are more in vogue here at present.)
I have had a very encouraging email from someone in New Zealand, saying she thinks this is the kind of book children there might well enjoy because it is such an outdoor society.
But . . . so far, I have had no comments from people in the USA, even though large numbers of people in America might also be described as 'outdoor' types. I am wondering whether you might be able to advise me why this could be so? Is it that people in the USA simply don't contact people they haven't met? Or is it that this kind of book simply won't appeal either to children or to adults there? And if not, why not?
If you felt able to comment, I would be truly grateful. At present, it is rather a puzzle!
THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE is not as densely written as books like Swallows and Amazons but it is similar that it offers a rural setting for the tale.
(You many be interested to know that I live with my husband and children right beside Portland Harbour in Dorset - which is where the Olympic Sailing Events will take place in 2012.)
THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE is not a sailing story but is set by the sea in a place just like this.
Contemporary children's fiction tends to base itself in cities - but there are millions of children who don't live in towns and who might like sometimes to read of events in more familiar settings. And city dwelling children will miss out too if they can't 'go into the country' in their imaginations from time to time - which is what Arthur Ransome enabled children to do through his books.
I hope you don't mind me writing to you in this way and I also hope you might find time to respond.
I can be contacted either through the 'Comments' on the blog
http://bricksinthecave.blogspot.com/
or by email at
bricksinthecave@googlemail.com
Yours sincerely
Susan Harwood
I am the same way. I HATE exercising, but if/when I do, I always am so proud of myself. But I usually succeed in talking myself out of it.
I have the same problem! (Well, in regards to writing....I don't really exercise...)
I procrastinate and procrastinate until it's 2a.m. and then I get going and two hours later I'm like, "Why didn't I just sit down and get to work?!"
Ahhh, well. I don't know who said it, but I"ve always lived by the motto, "Don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow."
--Melissa
Good for you. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment