We Be A Little Bit Linked Over Here Today...
My THL post from a couple weeks ago about the Brienne haters was My Elves Are Different-ized. This comes from being linked over at Patrick's Fantasy Hotlist... I'm pleased to see this hasn't kicked off a bunch of flaming. Though I honestly don't think he gets a lot of rampant fanboy-types over at his blog, which is nice. [Edited to add: It appears I spoke too soon. If Blogger had an eye-roll smiley, you can feel free to picture it here.] Seriously, I hope people realize my intention was not to dis everyone who hangs out on that particular board, but rather to use it as an example of a bias against female characters that I wanted to talk about more.
I'm not sure I want to put my thoughts about forum moderation/free speech into words right now. It's something that's evolving for me. I do know that it is very easy for people to say "ignore the idiots." But sometimes it's like... imagine if you were being battered by little bits of paper that someone was throwing at you. They don't actually hurt, and they are certainly ignorable, but you can't help thinking that if you went and sat over there, you wouldn't have to deal with it at all. Because the guy next to you never gets bits of paper tossed at him. And that's not really fair, is it?
Anyway. It's sort of a crappy metaphor.
Hello, SF/F Blogosphere!
Bet you thought it was going to be more radical feminist rhetoric over here and less... cats. :-P
6 comments:
Hi, Sarah! Thanks for the link back!
I wanted to post about this sooner, but life somehow got in the way...
And though we're airing some dirty laundry raising that issue, I think it's a good thing. Makes people think about it, if nothing else!
Meh... your post was entirely undeserving of flamage. You were completely reasonable and largely right.
Sorry about the cleavage gag... *ahem*.
The photo is more due to the fact that it is 93 degrees where I live today, for example, with about 60% humidity. My opinion on gender bias, however, would still be my opinion on gender bias whether I was wearing a tank top or a snowsuit.
It just happens that this week, on my personal site, there is cleavage visible. I hope we can all handle it in an adult manner.
Now, where's my sarcasm tag?
< /sarcasm>
Aha. There it is. :-)
Another M.E.A.D. post on Brienne.
:-)
Haha! That's cute.
Post a Comment