Use Resources Wisely
I got home from work, and the toilet was no longer in the middle of the kitchen floor. It was back in the bathroom, but it was not hooked up. It was the Last Straw.
There has to be a toilet in this building somewhere, I thought, and dammit, I am going to find it. Exploring the basement apartment, I discovered two toilets, none of which were hooked up to the water pipes, and one shower, with no fixtures. I checked the driveway and the street. No van. No workers anywhere. I went up the stairs to the landlord's apartment. They had just done the hardwood floors. I did not care. I was going to use that toilet. I took off my shoes. The floor was still fresh, but well, I am nothing if not light and crafty.
I hopped over the top of the child-proof gate, leapt the sticky hardwood flooring in the hallway, climbed over the piano, and there it was, in all its glory: a working toilet. The working toilet. Satisfied, I came back down the stairs, grabbed my shampoo, a towel, sandals and a bathing suit, and went out into the backyard to take a shower in the hose. Never underestimate a pissed off Girl Scout.
5 comments:
Oh lord, I wasted hours putting all my books on Library Thing when I first joined.
I got offered a job with Plaquemines public schools, but I do not know any details. Didn't want to write about it until I knew for sure what was going on.
Either Belle Chasse Middle School or the new South Plaquemines elementary. They're not sure. One is a much longer drive for me, of course. I've done the drive before, so it's not like I don't know what I'm getting into. But... don't know yet.
Well good for you, girl. I can't say that I blame you...
And I'm glad the weather is nice enough for hose showers!
Well, I'm going to be a first year teacher, but the one thing I DO do is spell!
This may be totally irrelavent, but as a college freshman writing instructor, I must say that our nation's emphasis on english--including grammar, writing, and reading skills--sucks hardcore ass. Some of the kids that I've had this year have been coddled by their teachers and lulled into thinking that they're writing a research supported essay, when in fact all they're doing is spitting out facts. And lets forget reading comprehension--I swear that kids these days take things way too literally and can't find the metaphor or other such delights in books their asked to read. For exmample, I have a girl in my class now who's writing a potentially awesome research paper on the affects of "happy drugs" on society--how they're actually forcing us to disassociate ourselves from painful experiences and feelings and thus making us more robotic-like. She's using Huxley's Brave New World as the case for the paper. Despite repeated attempts on my part, she fails to see the metaphor that Huxley's created via the drug "soma"--its a derivation of somnolence, which means "unconcious" among other things. I've tried to encourage her to do some research on that aspect of Brave New World, but so far no dice. She just keeps saying "It's a drug that makes them disconnect from the world" which isn't wholly untrue, there's just a larger metaphorical meaning behind it that would give her so much to talk about.
And don't even badly spelled and structurally craptacular sentences! So hats off to any off you that are truly good instructors and are instilling a love of all things literature and english in a society that is heavily math and science.
And P.S. Sarah, good for you for being a Girl Scout! I pictured you all Aeon Flux and what not, back-flipping your way down the hall.
Post a Comment