Monday, August 28, 2006

You Can't Stop the Signal



After the previous post, a simple Google search revealed that my experience of being unexpectedly attacked by this song in my car was NOT isolated. Someone else was, too! And they made this video, which I am posting because I think every American should look at these photos, should spend a couple of minutes thinking about this tomorrow. You think you're sick of hearing about it? You think it's not your responsibility as a voting member of a democracy? You will be bombarded. There are many other New Orleans bloggers who do a much better job of this than I do. I feel admittedly guilty about this sometimes, but I'm much better with the levity. Last month I was driving through Plaquemines Parish with another volunteer, someone who's been through an incredibly tough couple of months, and we went by this particular destroyed house. There's nothing there but a foundation with two toilets sitting on it.

I said, "I know it's horrible and wrong, but I kind of smile every time I see those toilets."

He said, "I think sometimes you have to laugh." And we laughed at the toilets.

Anyway, TV bombards you, but most of the time they seem to get the message wrong. The stuff that's out there on the net from local sources, that's the stuff that will blow your mind. I would like to thank them for it today, them and news outlets like the Times Picayune, who have been on the ground in New Orleans since landfall. Have internet connection (well, most of the time, anyway-- thanks a lot, Cox), will write.

You can't stop the signal.

No comments: