Wednesday, May 3, 2006

No, I will NOT Work Lunch

So last weekend, Mike finished his third exam, which meant there was only one take-home final standing between him and lawyerdom (well, and the bar exam). To celebrate, we went out to lunch at Nacho Mama's, where we sat at a sidewalk table and had chicken enchiladas and drinks in the blazing New Orleans spring sun. Lo and behold, the phone rings. It's my manager, wanting to figure out everyone's schedule for the summer. I said I still had class this week through Saturday, could we do it next week? He said, why don't we do it now and it won't start till next Monday? Despite my current occupation of sitting on a crowded section of Magazine Street having a Corona, I said OK, and we added a couple of lunch shifts and one dreaded double until I had a schedule I thought I could deal with... with the caveat that it won't start until I'm done with finals week. Not that I have finals, but I have projects and papers that need to get written.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I am racing around to get materials to make the previously blogged artistic project, and I find I have a message from work asking why I'm not there, because I'm on the schedule for Tuesday lunch. Argh. OK. So I call, and say I thought we got it straight that my summer schedule does not start till next week. They say, fine, everyone's confused, it's OK. Until this morning, when sure enough I receive another call-- "You're working lunch today, right?" I explained the deal, said I'm still really busy with school, and I thought we said not to put me on the schedule for Tuesday and Wednesday until next week. Seriously, these internet outages have put me way behind schedule, since the classes I still need to work on are online classes. "So... can you work today? Maybe come in later?"

Yes. At 4:30. Like I do every Wednesday. Tough.

The most absurd thing about this whole misunderstanding is I caught myself actually feeling bad about not being able to work. I find myself obligingly saying, "Oh well, maybe--" Wait, am I crazy? It is physically impossible for me to work a double today and get my papers written and posted on time. I do not know what people-pleasing vibe comes over me when they ask me to work more, but luckily it recedes in 15 seconds. I fear I am one of those people who has a hard time saying no.

No comments: