Monday, May 8, 2006

Done! Done at Last!

I have been absent for several days from the internet world (Horrors! Anyone who knows me will be well aware that I can't live without IM and the web). But now I'm back, and delighted to report that I am DONE with all my papers for the semester. It feels wonderful not to have anything hanging over my head... and to be able to write without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else. Farewell, grad school. Due to the fact that none of my classes are being offered this summer, I guess I'll be seeing you in the fall. Hello, novel. I hope this time away from you will not give me the revelation that you suck.

Niax SunriderBut first-- we all know what it's time for: a bout of total and unabashed uselessness. For me, this has meant lapsing into hours of delicious Knights of the Old Republic II fun. Oh, Game, I missed you. Actually, it's getting a bit boring playing over and over again, so I finally summoned up the steel, downloaded this mod, and am playing as an evil Sith lord. I've had an amusing problem with this in the past, namely that I apparently am too moral to play on the Dark Side. Actually, the problem is that to be on the Dark Side you have to be kind of a bully, like beating up random people and taking their credits. I have a problem with this aspect of The Game because, honestly, if you were an all-powerful Sith lord, would you really bother? Then the people in your party act all disappointed in you and you feel bad... and, well, I have abandoned two previous games because of this. My character's name is Niax Sunrider, and as further incentive to be evil, her cool face tattoos appear gradually as she descends deeper into the Dark Side.

For those of you unfamiliar with computer games, mods are cool to play around with because they change up the game a bit. They are modifications made by fans and available on the internet which allow you more options for the appearance of your character and other cool stuff. I discovered them after I finished playing through KOTOR I and immediately wanted to start again... this time as a new character. I didn't much like any of the female faces, except the one I had picked the first time around. And I thought it would be nice if you could play as a non-human. Imagine the ultra-coolness of being a twi'lek in a very short skirt! (I use the character with the purple skin, though.) Ordinarily, I would have a problem with the unrealistic idea of female video game characters fighting battles in a midriff and leg-baring outfit, but whatever. I'm a Jedi. I can throw people across the room with my mind.

Sigh. I love KOTOR. It is a completely irrational love. I am so not a gaming person. But there is something that entrances me about being able to be IN Star Wars. It's pretty much every childhood dream come true. And I will probably play over and over again until KOTOR 3 comes out (Dear George Lucas, let there be KOTOR 3! Still yours respectfully, even though I pretend your prequels don't exist, Sarah).

No comments: