Saturday, February 4, 2006

Why People Aren't Authors

You know, before this fall I thought, "I'm a good writer. Lots of people are good writers, much better than the crap that's in print. Yet they aren't published. Why the hell not?" I mean, I have read some horrifically crappy novels. We're talking major publishing house and the sentence structure is embarrassing.

I will tell you why many good writers are not published. It's HARD. My main problem, sifting through my so-far-unfinished novel today, is there's so MUCH of it. And I only have 60,000 words so far, which is very short. I shudder to think what the authors of my favorite 800-page fantasy tomes go through. It's not like a short story. I forget what I've written. I lose track of the timeline. Are we in today, or tomorrow? Hell, maybe this happened last week, I have no idea. Recurring themes? Forget about it. I don't even remember where my characters are. I still have at least five major scenes to write, many more to flesh out, and then comes the editing. And from the research I've done on the submission process, no wonder there aren't many people who do this. It's sort of like hazing.

I wonder if I will get weeded out.

How did this come up? While doing some brain-killing work on my outline, I ran across the following sentence of dialogue: "'And as soon as they pull the records,' added Jesov, 'they'll find out we’ve been using them to get into the shuttleport. They’ll seize the ship, if they haven’t already.'"

Which is a fine sentence were it not for the fact that Jesov was killed in the previous chapter. Oyy.

1 comment:

Emmy Ellis said...

Oh bless you!

Editing is hard by yourself because, as I'm sure you know, you get so wrapped up in your work you fail to see the plot holes and mistakes.

Good luck with your novel.

:O)