Awakening From the Dream That Was New Orleans
I thought this was a really good article, expressing a lot of my own sentiments about living Uptown and also articulating the hard truths about New Orleans that we tend to ignore. I haven't lived there as long but I know what he means. But then, I also used to take the streetcar to work because I didn't have a car, and worked at least one service industry job where they called me "little white girl" (because I was the only one), so I think I have acquired somewhat of a diversified perspective of the city. Frankly, I don't have quite enough money to be able to hide in my Garden District mansion and only see that part of the city... but damn, I still wish I had a Garden District mansion.
1 comment:
I came across your blog while surfing, and I wanted to say first that I'm SO sorry for all you're going through as a displaced N.O. resident. I hope and pray that things transition quickly and smoothly for you to a more "normal" life. Please know that folks like me all around the country are willing to do anything we can to help you. I'm down here in Mississippi, so there's not much I can offer other than prayer, which I give gladly.
Post a Comment