Saturday, October 20, 2007

Book Meme!

I was tagged by Fantasy Writer Guy for this, and I completely forgot to do it! But I do love books, oh yes, so here goes.

Number of books owned:

According to LibraryThing, about 400. Except I haven't updated that in awhile, and that's not counting the three bookshelves still at my parents' house. So I'll say 600 and we'll call it an estimate.

Most recently read:

The Ghost Orchid, Carol Goodman. I randomly picked up one of her other books, The Lake of Dead Languages, a couple of years ago because she was on the local author shelf when I was home for Christmas and also, wow, good title. And now she is one of my favorite authors, if you're into reading about... writers, ghosts, gothic stuff. Which I am. Extra special bonus is that all her books are set where I grew up. There aren't enough Albany shout-outs in literature!

Most recently purchased:

It would be Red Seas Under Red Skies, by Scott Lynch, but it was free, so I'm not sure it counts. Anyway, it was most recently ordered, and I am still not through it because I've had a rather stressful last few weeks at work and haven't had enough time to read. Sigh.

Five most meaningful books read:

Oooh, tough question. These are in no particular order.

1. The Awakening, Kate Chopin.

My feminist sentiments can be traced back to right here.

2. A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin.

Totally blew my mind in that it was unlike any other fantasy I'd read. Mainly because of what happens at the end and the huge "I can't believe he did that! Did he just do that?" moment. I felt like nothing was sacred or safe anymore.

3. Jitterbug Perfume, Tom Robbins.

Similar to #1, my atheist sentiments can be traced back here.

4. Beloved, Toni Morrison.

This was the first time I read a book and hated it, then went back and read it again, only to have it knock me over with how good it was. I think it was also the first time I appreciated a book as art. Particularly the mix of poetry and prose. It was one of those "I bow before the master" moments. This book is that good.

5. The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien.

The first fantasy book I ever read. Read to me by my dad when I was eight or so. Read over and over as my absolute favorite comfort reading.

No comments: