Thursday, September 1, 2005

Waiting...

Unlike most disasters, as the days go on, this one seems to be getting worse. Couldn't sleep last night because I saw on the news a woman who was sitting on top of the I-10 overpass next to her husband's body, which was wrapped in a blanket in the 90 degree heat and which no one would take away.

Now I have to worry not only about if I lost everything to wind/water damage, but if looters are at this moment stealing my TV and my car and breaking my personal items. It's a very small TV and I don't really care, but the thing that gets to me is I keep picturing people tossing about my priceless and irreplaceable pictures and memories just to see if there is jewelry underneath, and then throwing them in the water and stepping on them. I think these hoodlums ought to be shot on sight. Didn't they declare martial law? Honestly, I'm a very liberal person. Looting a store for food when you're starving is one thing. But TVs? Electronics? THERE IS NO POWER. YOU ARE HOMELESS. These people have got to have a less-than-human stupidity level. What do they expect to do with a stolen flat screen TV in these circumstances? A gang hijacked a bus that was evacuating nursing home residents, stole all their supplies, and left them to die. That enrages me so much that my political values seem to have just disappeared (they are ignorant and uneducated, they are in poverty, etc.). Nope. These people simply need to be shot. They have absolutely no worth as human beings. I firmly believe this. There are plenty of low-income 9th Ward evacuees who are clean, decent, moral people, who are waiting at the Superdome and whose evacuation had to be halted this morning because of the gunfire, who are not behaving like this.

Still have no idea where I am going, what I am doing, whether I have anything left. It's a kind of limbo that is very hard to live with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know you and I just happened to come across your blog, but I wanted to tell you that I am thinking of and praying for you and your fellow community members as you ride out this horrible nightmare. It is hard to find words in a time like this, but I just wanted to say good luck and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

You can be sure that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Your Hilton Head Grandpa.